After 70 years of in the community, the First Christian Church has closed in ministry but its legacy lives through the work of Davis Street Family Resource Center. Under Homer Richardson’s leadership, starting in 1968, the FCC congregation became known for its social justice stands against war and racism and the priority of taking care of the poor and marginalized. That message has prevailed!
Reverend Homer Richardson joined a group of church leaders in Alameda County and secured the first State Department of Education childcare subsidies. He added this program to the food pantry and the recycling center, the hallmark of the ministry. San Leandro in the 1960s and even into the 1970s was home to a sizable migrant population and to a growing two-parent working poor household. Homer added a licensed childcare center serving 24 children and a thrift store, rounding out the support services. By the mid 1980s the Church made the decision to spin off the community center. Although our center home has moved, our preschool on 1190 Davis Street is still on the Church’s property today.
The photos below are taken from the First Christian Church’s last service and reception on February 10th. Davis Street staff and board, San Leandro Mayor Steven Cassidy and State Senator Ellen Corbett’s office presented resolutions. Reverent Richardson was overwhelmed by the attendance and show of support on the gorgeous morning. What an incredible gift they have provided to thousands and thousands of individuals and families in need! We are so humbled by our history and founded principals! The First Christian Church is forever in our hearts!