Davis Street administers an Alternative Payment Program, which is a parental choice child care voucher program for eligible families with children age 0 thru 12, who are living in the Eden area (San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Castro Valley, Ashland, and Berkeley/Albany area). Family eligibility is based on income and need. Families are entitled to choose either traditional or non-traditional services (including evening and weekend care) in their choice of childcare environment, including center-based care, family day care homes and license exempt care.


SUBSIDIZED CHILD CARE APPLICATION                                       Application Spanish

You can either mail, fax, or bring your subsidized child care application to our agency’s front desk at 3081 Teagarden Street, San Leandro. 

CalWORKS Child Care Stage II and III Parental Choice
We administer child care for CalWORKS participants with children age 0 thru 12 who have been transferred from Stage 1, and are either working or in job-training. Stage II participants may or may not still be receiving cash aid when they are transferred to Stage II. CalWORKS Stage II participants remain eligible for Stage II until they have been discontinued from cash aid for 24 months; these participants are then transferred to our Stage III program. CaIWORKS Stage III participants are eligible for Stage III child care as long as they remain income eligible and have an established need for child care.

Childcare Payments Assistance
Families interested in applying for child care payment assistance for either the Alternative Payment Program or one of the Child Care Center Programs may contact our administrative offices at (510) 347-4620 ext. 233 for more information. CaIWORKS Stage II and III child care is offered to families transitioning from the Stage 1 child care program.

Reasons for needing childcare

  • Employment
  • Self Employement
  • Vocational Training
  • Seeking employment
  • Seeking housing
  • Incapacitated
  • Child Protective Services
  • Referred by a legally qualified professional
  • Participating in CalWORKs

State Median Income Level

Family Size 1-2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Max. Monthly Income $3,283 $3,518 $3,908 $4,534 $5,159 $5,276 $5,394 $5,511 $5,628

How to apply for alternative payment

Application English                            Application Spanish

You can either mail, fax, e-mail (to jperez@davisstreet.org) or bring your subsidized child care application to our agency’s front desk at 3081 Teagarden Street, San Leandro. You can visit Davis Street at anytime to receive an application. 

Proof of income is required.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify?

You qualify if you are an adult family member who is working, attending vocational training, seeking employment, seeking housing, incapacitated, referred by a legally qualified professional, such as Child Protective Services (CPS), or are participating in CalWORKs, and your gross monthly income is within the State Median Income Level.

What services does Alternative Payment offer?

We are a parent choice program. Enrolled families can choose any licensed, or exempt from licensing, child care provider that best meets the educational and developmental needs of their child(ren). To receive payment for child care, the provider must meet basic program requirements and complete an agreement for services.

How long will I have to wait?

Waiting time varies depending on the availability of child care openings. We enroll in rank order, based on family size and income from the CEL. Unfortunately, we do not have enough funding to pay child care services for all eligible families.

How often do I need to update my application?

You must update your CEL application every six months.

How will I know that I have become eligible?

You will be contacted by phone, mail, or e-mail and asked to verify your income, need, family size, and other information to assure that your family falls within the income guidelines that Alternative Payment is currently enrolling.

I’m on welfare and can’t afford child care. How can I get help?

Notify your county eligibility worker that you are in need of child care services.